An expecting mother recently asked me: “Do you really have to bring everything pregnancy checklists recommend?” No way. But here are five things experienced moms say you should take to the hospital for childbirth:
1. Paperwork: Insurance cards, hospital documents, identification and your checkbook.
2. Comfy clothes: A robe, slippers that slide on, over sized pajama pants and tops that button down the front.
3. Maternity underwear: Yes, the hospital will provide you with some cheapy, creepy ones, but you’ll be more comfortable in your own. Think cotton and don’t bring anything fancy — they will likely get ruined.
4. An installed carseat: The hospital won’t let you leave without one.
5. Baby’s going home outfit: Soft cotton is always best. Save the frills for later.